- Read a few of our sample essays on your topic
- Develop your own ideas
- Your paper will practically write itself
· The concept of distribution of organisms in a resource gradient, and
· The difference between kinesis and taxis.
After doing this lab you should be able to:
· Describe some aspects of animal behavior, such as orientation behavior, agonistic behavior, dominance display, or mating behavior, and
· Understand the adaptiveness of the behaviors you studied.
1. Place ten pill bugs and a small amount of bedding material in a petri dish. Pillbugs generally do not climb, but if they do, you may cover the dish with plastic wrap or the petri dish cover.
2. Observe the pillbugs for 10 minutes. Make notes on their general appearance, movements about the dish, and interactions with each other. Notice if they seem to prefer one area over another, if they keep moving, settle down, or move sporadically. Note any behaviors that involve 2 or more pillbugs. Try to make your observations without disturbing the animals in any way. Do not prod or poke or shake the dish, make loud sounds, or subject them to bright lights. You want to observe their behavior, not influence it or interfere with it.
3. Prepare a choice chamber as illustrated in
Terminology mentioned in this term paper
Keywords referenced in this term paper
heart rate, pillbugs, hydrochloric acid, dish, potassium hydroxide, solution, petri dish, behavior, fish, the dish, the heart, filter paper, the pillbugs, petri dishes, fish tank, agonistic behavior, animal behavior, pill bugs, plastic wrap, to prefer, the third, room temperature, Coarse Salt, general appearance, dark, acidic, Daphnia, minutes, the fish, bright, stock, kinesis, NaCl, gradient, mating, results, loud, scissors, chill, Glucose, keep moving, brush, Procedure, observations, bedding, containers, regular, illustrated, the chamber, basic,