2. Production of the hydrogen bomb, Jan 31
a. Truman sends air force and navy personnel to Korea after North Korea invades the South; ground forces are deployed three days later. June 27
b. Assassination attempt on President Truman by Puerto Rican nationalist's era of McCarthyism begins. Nov 1
(1) President Harry Truman authorizes U.S. troops to aid South Korean Troops. June 26
(2) Truman the National Security Act, creating, among other things, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
1. Joseph McCarthy claims many in federal government are government are communists his speech ushers in four years of red-baiting later known as the McCarthy era.
2. McCarthy almost casually mentioned that there were communists in the State Department and that they controlled U.S. Foreign policy.
A. Korean War begins when North Korean Communitst forces invade South Korea.
1. Communists in China, War in Korea
2. Chinese troops attack UN forces in Korea
a. Truman sends air force and navy personnel to Korea after North Korea invades the south; ground forces are deployed three days later. June 27
b. Kenneth Shadrick in the first U.S. soldier killed in the Korean War.
B. Communist Chinese forces invade Tibet.
1. A ban on U.s. goods to communist China begins.
2. Chinese troops attack UN forces in Korea.
1. The first Xerox machine is produced
2. The first self-service elevator is installed by Otis Elevator in Dallas.
a. Col. David C. Schilling (USAF) makes the first nonstop transatlantic jet flight in 10 hours and I minute (Sept. 22).
b. Richard Lawler (US) performs the first successful kidney transplant at Loyola University.
(1) Phonevision, the first pay-per-view service, becomes available.
(2) C.H. Cooper of Fort Wayne Indiana becomes the first Afri