- Read a few of our sample essays on your topic
- Develop your own ideas
- Your paper will practically write itself
Not only those who were black, but also those who affiliated with blacks, were considered inferior. Atticus, a lawyer, who defended blacks in court, was mocked. An example of this is when Mrs. Dubose said, "Your father's [Atticus] no better than the niggers and trash he works for!" Mr. Dolphus Raymond was also criticized for affiliating with blacks, especially black females. Example is when Jem said, "He likes 'em [blacks] better 'n he likes us [whites], I reckon." Basically, you were black if you "liked" blacks.
Blacks, because they were considered inferior, were expected to do everything for whites. Everything had to be perfect, without excuse. Even when Calpurnia, a Finch family friend, did not make the perfect cup of coffee, she was mocked. Book excerpt, "She [Calpurnia] poure
Quotes talked about in this paper
- Aunt Alexandra said, "Jem's growing up now and you are too. We decided that it would be best for you to have some feminine influence." ...
- Jem said, "He likes ‘em [blacks] better ‘n he likes us [whites], I reckon." ...
- Kerner Commission Report on civil disorders warned, "two separate Americas." ...
- Mrs. Dubose said, "Your father's [Atticus] no better than the niggers and trash he works for!" ...
Names referenced in this essay
Harper Lee, Aunt Alexandra, Bob Ewell, Tom Robinson, Calpurnia, Jem, Mayella, robert lee, Mrs. Dubose, Mr. Dolphus Raymond,
Organizations talked about in this essay
Congress, Kerner Commission,
Locations mentioned in this term paper
Keywords referenced in this term paper
racism, Harper Lee, Tom Robinson, mockingbird, criminal justice system, whites, black person, black americans, Maycomb, racial equality, Voting rights, Bob Ewell, Affirmative action, robert lee, this moment, civil rights, Kerner Commission, civil disorders, perfect, remedies, coffee, excuses, society, abusive, Finch, minorities, niggers, workforce, tablespoon, integrate, realms, excerpt, lawyer, conservative, diverse, nation, problems, Report, Bibliography, opportunities, legal,