- Read a few of our sample essays on your topic
- Develop your own ideas
- Your paper will practically write itself
Both Mama and Ruth's dreams are very similar; they both want a better life and a new house. Mama and Ruth live in a one-bedroom apartment in Chicago's south side, where Ruth's son has to sleep on the couch. They have to share a bathroom with the other families on their floor. They have lived like this for years and they want a better life for their family. They would like to have a nice house in a good neighborhood. Mama wants a garden in the back of the house to grow plants. She says "Well, I always wanted me a garden like I used to see sometimes at the back of the houses down home." Mama says this because her plant she has now is the closest thing she has had to fulfilling her dream and now she might be able to make that dream come true. Ruth is pregnant and is thinking of an abortion because there is no room for the baby in the apartment. She wants a house so she can keep the baby. Mama goes and buys a house in a nice residential neighborhood with a nice patch of dirt for her garden. Ruth says "Praise God!" after hearing tha
Quotes talked about in this paper
- She says "When I was very small we used to take our sleds in the wintertime and the only hills we had were the ice-covered stone steps of some houses down the street…. and it was very dangerous you know…. and sure enough one day a kid named Rufus came down too fast and hit the sidewalk and we saw his face just split open right there in front of us and I remember standing there looking at his bloody open face thinking that was the end of Rufus. But the ambulance came and they took him to the hospital and they fixed the broken bones and they sewed it all up and the next time I saw Rufus he just had a little line down the middle of his face I never got over that... I wanted to cure."
- Beneatha finally says "I am going to be a doctor and everybody around here better understand that!"
- She says "Well, I always wanted me a garden like I used to see sometimes at the back of the houses down home."
- Mama says "Lord, child, don't you know what to do with yourself? How long it going to be before you get tired of this now, like you tired of that little play-acting group you joined last year?…. Why you got to flit so from one thing to another…" ...
- Ruth says "Praise God!" ...
- Ruth yells "Hallelujah! and good-bye misery I don't never want to see your ugly face again!"
- Ruth says "Willy Harris is a good for nothing load mouth."
Names referenced in this research paper
Ruth, Mama, Walter, Beneatha, Rufus, Willy Harris, Charlie Atkins, Travis,
Locations included in this report
Facility mentioned in this report
Keywords referenced in this report
Mama, better life, new house, dream, liquor store, loud mouth, a dream, temporary thing, open face, her brother, no room, Raisin, broken bones, The dreams, floor, one thing, yells, flit, Hallelujah, wintertime, small, thirty five, dry cleaning, Disneyland, wasting, limousine, sidewalk, couch, yourself, sleds, ugly, seventeen years, business, bloody, the apartment, always be, abortion, hundred thousand, bathroom, fictional, investing, to let, dirt, Charlie, ambulance, door, so many things, plant, hills, Chicago,