We have discussed about making a research on the psychology of the Filipinos, and the field I chose is on Personality. Much has been written and many research studies conducted on Filipino personality. But previous literatures have discussed related themes on values, personality traits, behavior, and norms of conduct of the Filipino in the light used by Western methods, using Western language not indigenous to the Filipino culture. Nevertheless, there have been studies conducted that tried to use Filipino terminologies that have typefied "cultural value traits” as derived from Malay roots, and Chinese, Indian, Spanish, and American influences (Andres,1981). Recent studies by Landa Jocano show that underneath these cultural diversities of the Filipino, basic similarities still exist in institutional behavior and value orientation.
The reason therefore in making this study is to understand the Filipino value system because to understand it is to appreciate Filipino behavior.
THE RESEARCH PROBLEM: .
This paper seeks to find out what is the attitude of the 4th year Psychology Students of Xavier University as a key to understanding Filipino behavior and personality.
1. To show the structure of Filipino standards of excellence (pamantayan).
2. To identify the concepts of desirable traits.
3. To enumerate the ideals people want to achieve.
4. To evaluate the attitude of 4th year Psychology students of Xavier University in the light of the standards as a value model.
STEPS IN MAKING THIS RESEARCH:.
1. Identify the target population - in yr this case the 4th year psychology students of Xavier University.
2. See them personally before conducting the actual study to explain that they are one of the subjects under study.
3. Write a formal letter and make them commit to answer the questionnaire as honestly as possible.
4. Give them the questionnaire to answer.
GATHERING OF DAT@.
Collect the questionnaire sheets from the target population.