- Read a few of our sample essays on your topic
- Develop your own ideas
- Your paper will practically write itself
First of all, Blanche's unwillingness to accept reality is seen through her inability to accept her decline in social status, which contributes to her mental breakdown. Her inability to accept her decline in social status is seen when Blanche goes to Elysian Fields to stay at her sister Stella's house. The following quotation shows the audience of Blanches unwillingness to accept the reality of where she is now going to spend quite a while, "She looks at a slip of paper, then at the building, then again at the slip and again at the building. Her expression is one of shock [and] disbelief." (Williams 15) This also tells the reader that Blanche is ashamed of the descent in her status due to her present residence. Blanche's unwillingness is further shown when she asks Stella, "Why didn't you tell me [how you live], Why didn't you tell me, honey, why didn't you let me know [about your living conditions]?" (Williams 21) Blanche cannot comprehend the fact that she o
Quotes talked about in this paper
- she asks Stella, "Why didn't you tell me [how you live], Why didn't you tell me, honey, why didn't you let me know [about your living conditions]?" ...
- Blanche informs Mitch about her affairs, "Intimacies with strangers was all I seemed to fill my empty heart with… at last, in a seventeen year old boy." ...
- Blanche says, "I don't want realism. I want magic!"(Williams 117) and "I don't tell truth, I tell what ought to be the truth. And if that is sinful let me be damned for it!"(Williams 117) These quotations depict Blanche's obsession of not considering the relevance of reality, but also how far fetched she is from the "real world".
Names mentioned in this research paper
Keywords talked about in this research paper
Stella, living conditions, social status, dishonesty, shows, physical beauty, physical appearance, perfect life, slip, mental breakdown, ranking, Belle Reve, Tennessee Williams, promiscuous, paper lantern, old boy, Streetcar, school superintendent, quotations, dark, the real world, human being, Secondly, ashamed, saddened, Elysian, instability, illuminates, hurting, sinful, cares, asks, perfection, creditors, insanity, how far, companionship, hides, shock, Graves, honey, anxiety, main, permanent, a vision, self, behavior, trust, matters, questions,